7Side Design Blog

Exploring Modern Design Through Furniture, Graphics, and Products.

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Wood Tiles

I have a nice collection of images from a project I have been working on for the last four months. Back in September I attended the Surf Expo trade show here in Orlando. I got to talking to one of the reps from a retailer who, as it turns out, was discarding their entire booth comprised of probably more than 100 sheets of 4'x8' thin plywood. I called DIBS! on their trash (my treasure) and walked away with almost 70 sheets of very nice wood with a variety of stains and grains.
After a few laborious steps I had turned the entire stack of wood into many stacks of 9"x16" wood tiles.
Soon after this good find I was approached by some friends who are involved with the Urban ReThink space in Thornton Park near Orlando. They asked me to consider a few projects including a small kiosk area near the entrance.

When they described the aesthetic it was almost as if they knew I had those wood tiles waiting to find a home. Check out the Urban ReThink site. It is going to be a great addition to the Orlando creative world and it will benefit everyone that takes advantage of this community hub.

No comments:

Post a Comment